Sunday, January 26, 2014

A mothers work is never done

As I sit here at 5 in the morning holding my almost 17 month old who for the most part sleeps through the night now unless she's teething ( which she is) or pees through her diaper, wakes up and decides it's time to play, or.... Let's face it the list could go on... I quietly reflect on how beautiful she is. I realize that after almost 17 months if sleepless nights, rocking her to sleep, feeding her, changing her, and quietly tiptoeing out if her room not to wake her that a mothers work is never done. We are on call 24/7. There's no vacation days or holidays. We are always there for these little ones.

When she goes down at night, usually around 8:30, I feel like that's when I accomplish the most. I finally get to the laundry that's been sitting in the dryer all day, I finally sweep and mop the floor from splatters spaghetti, crumbled crackers, and who knows what else. I get to pick up all the  Tupperware strewn across the house ( yes she loves to play in the Tupperware drawer), I vacuum the tv room of yet more crumbs of crackers and what not ( how can someone so little make such a mess!) and finally when it's all done I get to sit down and who knows, watch a show, read a book, have a bowl of ice cream? And yet I'm too exhausted to do any of those things and so crawl into bed only to start over in a few hours. The question that lingers in my mind at the wee hours of the morning while holding my precious firecracker of a child is this, " is it worth it?" And my answer... YES. Every minute of it. I wouldn't change being a mother and having this little lady in my life for a second. Worth. Every. Minute. So.... I'm giving a shout out to you mothers who do it all. Bless your beautiful soul! And just remember, there's at least one mother out there doing the same thing :)

1 comment:

  1. shout out to you, too! i'm sure you're a fantastic mother! when will i ever see you again?

    ReplyDelete