Saturday, March 8, 2014

Deveroux Karl Bowman

He's here! He's here! Our son finally arrived on March 2, 2014 and we are so in love.

The Story:

I'd been having weekly appointments in my final weeks of pregnancy and at 36 weeks I was dilated to a 2 and 70% effaced. by 37 weeks I was at a 3 and 75% effaced. Then at 38 weeks I was dilated to a 4 and 80% effaced. Things were progressing quickly so my mom flew up early to help out with Hannah and to be here when I finally went into labor. This pregnancy has been so different from my little Hannah's pregnancy. I didn't expect Hannah to come so early (she was 10 days early) and I was SO sick with her. With my little boy I wasn't nearly as sick but I had sciatica nerves problems and I was so ready to be done being pregnant way before. I remember thinking at 29 weeks and almost crying thinking "I still have 11 weeks to go". Hannah also set the bar pretty high considering she was early so I expected and wanted this little boy to come early as well.

At 37 weeks I had been having consistent contractions that would wake me up because they were so painful at night. I called the midwives and they said to head up to labor and delivery just to make sure I wasn't truly in labor. So, Saturday morning I made my way to the hospital to get checked and of course my contractions stopped. I got checked and was monitored and everything was fine, I wasn't in labor.

I hit 38 weeks and was so miserable poor Sean, Hannah, and my mom probably didn't want to be around me much. This little boy had been measuring big since day one. He's quite the big boy :) When I hit march 1st, I was 10 days away from my due date and was sure he'd be coming that day just like his big sister came 10 days early. But, low and behold, he wasn't ready. Saturday I was so ornery and wasn't feeling well at all. I remember we went out to eat for my moms birthday and walked around for a while to tired Hannah out. We came home did all the nightly routines to get Hannah ready for bed and finally went to bed ourselves. At 11:45 that night I woke up to the worst stomach cramps and was on the toilet pretty much every 10 minutes till 2 am. By then I'd been having consistent contractions every 5-6 minutes apart. I didn't think I was in labor because my water broke with Hannah so I knew I was in labor. I decided to call the midwives anyway and let them know what was going on. Leeann told me to come in anyway and get checked to be sure. My mom took me to the hospital so that Sean could stay with Hannah in case she woke up in the middle of the night. We got to the hospital around 3 and got checked. I was dilated to a 5 and 85% effaced. Leeann decided to keep me and get started to have a baby since I was dilating. By the time they got me in to a room and situated, the checked me again and I was dilated to a 6. So I got an epidural and kept on dilating. I was strep B positive so they started my penicillin. (worst medicine ever). After my epidural I slowed down so Leeann broke my water and everything started escalating. My mom went home and switch Sean so he could be there for the birth. The second dose of penicillin nearly killed me. My arm was on fire and thought I was going to die. My epidural was only working on my left side and I could feel pretty much everything on my right side. The epidural guy had to come in twice to give me more numbing stuff. by 9:30 am Leeann said I was ready to start pushing. She got everything ready, and after 6 pushes, my baby boy was born! He arrived at 9:34 am, and was and is absolutely beautiful. I cried the minute I saw him. I couldn't believe he was mine. I got to hold him skin to skin and it was amazing. Worth everything minute of pain and sleeplessness. They took him to get weighed and all that fun stuff. I started feeling horrible pain in my hand/arm again from the penicillin. I swear, it was worse than labor! I finally screamed to get my IV taken out and they did. instant relief let me tell you!

They weighed the little man and he was 8.14 lbs and 20.5 inches long and absolutely perfect. I was totally shocked with his hair color. It's almost blonde!! He has light hair and light eyes. We were going to name hims either Shane or Jared, but he came out and didn't look like either. We had heard the name Deveroux before we knew we were having a boy and didn't think much of it. Sean and I were sitting in the hospital room trying to figure out a name for this little guy and I just blurted out Deveroux. Sean smiled and so did I so did I. We had a name for our little guy!!! Deveroux (dev-er-oh) is an old family name from Sean's Dads side of the family.

We then were taken to our room where we stayed for 24 hours and were able to come home the following day. I am so grateful my mom was here to help throughout the whole thing and that Sean was there with us as well. Hannah is doing awesome with little Deveroux. She gives him kisses and loves to touch his head. When she sees him in the mornings she points to him and says "baby!" it's super cute. I was worried about her but she's doing awesome.  I can't believe we're a family of 4!!







No comments:

Post a Comment